A rebuild of The Tepid Baths, Auckland’s historic indoor public pools, which were built in 1914 on the previous site of a small drydock. The project was timed to be completed for centenary celebrations.
The biggest challenge was to construct the entirely new building inside the original external walls that were propped and retained for their heritage value. The project also had many complex services, and stringent quality requirements for the mostly tiled internal finishes.
The pools were originally heated via hot water from the nearby tramways power plant, and the system was considered an engineering masterpiece of the time.